What’s the difference between a good and bad FTTx/product?
As an example: Fibre cable is manufactured from glass (silica), or a combination of silica and plastic. Yet the quality of any product (not just fibre) relies soley on the quality and combination of it’s compound “ingredient materials”. The advantages & disadvantages of glass silica over plastic are widely understood, yet often less thought is given to the quality of ingredients used at point of manufacture. In our view, POM (point of manufacture) is the place where magic happens (or doesn’t) and the place where a good and bad FTTx product results.
Nevertheless, the differences are not always visible, though when called to quantify, a reputable manufacturer would have no question offering an insiders view of the manufacturing process.
Here at Pronimen the 72 Line check procedure is a similar if not the same system one might expect an apple iPhone, or MacBook Pro to go through, and while China is a cheap and quick to manufacture base camp of the world right now, the reality is such that for those seeking profits, quality come’s secondary.
Pronimen are diligent, and that diligence derives from the desire to get it right, though not just to get it right, but to make add to the next generation a product that may function a 100 years from now.
Should I avoid buying FTTx products from China?
It is said that over 80% of all UK products now come from China, with the other 20% indirectly via China, and while we don’t convey this as spoken truth, it does prick the mind into considering “a great deal of products come from China“.
Our advise is not so much to “avoid China”, it’s more to research and analyse your supply chain.
China have over 280,000 factories, so this gives us some kind of idea how mind boggling sifting through the good, the bad, and the ugly can be. Nevertheless, help is at hand……the Chinese government licensed a proportion of factories as “approved suppliers” so that narrows our search field down to just 10,000 🙂
Yet the reality is – The 10,000 licensed to export factories often sub-contract manufacturing out to the remaining 270,000, which impacts quality processes such as “ingredients”, “control over consistency”, etc etc.
In our experience (approximately 35 years) and professional view. A way, though perhaps not the only way. However a sure way to obtain the highest quality FTTx products is to manufacturer them oneself.
Having operated under the British Telecommunications/British Approval System for approximately 35 years, we have come to understand a way to achieve consistency, material ingredient/compound quality, while keeping costs down is to manage it ourselves.
In 2003 – To satisfy a United Kingdom BT3002 requirement the brand name “Pronimen” was born. In fact allow us to share that upon testing, (BT independent testing) Pronimen cable exceeded BT’s specification and approval outcome by 10% (market leaders at that time “Radex” fell short at 86%), Pronimen came out at 110%.
Are you a design engineer in the early stages of development/innovation, a buyer who’s ready to order, or just have a question about this product?
Reach out, we are ready to answer any question you may have.